Four Colorado schools named 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools
DENVER – Colorado Education Commissioner Susana Córdova congratulated the four Colorado schools that were named today as 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools, recognizing their high academic outcomes and efforts to close the achievement gap between some groups of students.
“I am delighted to extend my heartfelt congratulations to the educators, families and communities of these outstanding Colorado schools for their remarkable achievement,” said Colorado Education Commissioner Susana Córdova. “Your unwavering commitment to our students and your tireless efforts to provide them with the tools for success, both inside and outside the classroom, are truly commendable.”
The Colorado schools named as National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Cedaredge Middle School, Delta County Joint District No. 50.
- Dennison Elementary School, Jefferson County R-1.
- McClave Elementary School, McClave School District Re-2.
- Parker Core Knowledge Charter School K-8, Douglas County School District No. Re 1.
“The honorees for our 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award have set a national example for what it means to Raise the Bar in education,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona, who announced the awards. “The leaders, educators and staff at our National Blue Ribbon Schools continually inspire me with their dedication to fostering academic excellence and building positive school cultures that support students of all backgrounds to thrive academically, socially and emotionally.”
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. The U.S. Department of Education invites National Blue Ribbon Schools nominations from the top education officials in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. Private schools are nominated by the Council for American Private Education.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Photographs and brief descriptions of the 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available at https://www.nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov/.